Activity Center launches revamped weight room

When students set foot in the improved Activity Center, they are presented with freshly painted walls, different flooring, more efficient weight and cardio equipment and a new track that makes you feel like you are running with a purpose.

Renovating the Activity Center has been in the works for the past 10 years. 

Michael Bruscato, the director of Recreational Services, wanted to surprise students returning this semester with a brand new Activity Center.

“We wanted the students to have a wow factor of emotion whenever they walk into the building,” Bruscato said. “We wanted to do something for the students in the Activity Center that they can see and be proud of.”

According to Bruscato, a functional room was highly requested to fit more fitness classes by students as well as more spacious gym rooms.

Cecil Delphin, a junior business major, said the renovations in the weight room gave him more options with his workout routine.

“I think the functional room is great because I can switch up my workout routine and do some calisthenics instead of just the weights,” Delphin said.

One of the first initiations of the upgrade was creating the gaming lounge into The Nest. The Nest is mostly used for e-sport gaming and table tennis, but it is also designed for students to work on group and school presentations. 

“Students can come here and use The Nest to work on their PowerPoints and school projects,” Bruscato said. “You can just connect to the TVs wirelessly and fully utilize the area.” 

Nautica Jones, a senior biology major, said the changes encourage her to visit the center more often with the raging pandemic.

“I like the changes a lot, especially because of the pandemic. We have more rooms available so we can spread out. It makes me feel more comfortable coming to the gym,” Jones said. 

During the winter break, the Activity Center will also refurbish all of its hardwood floors and update the ULM floor logos and lines. 

There will also be an addition of volleyball courts because of the high demand for the sport from students and the Monroe community.

Thomas Handy, a junior risk and insurance management major, said the Activity Center’s new look keeps him returning to the center to exercise.

“I’ve enjoyed it so far. I started working out here before the renovations and I was only going to go here for about a month,” Handy said. “But after the renovations, everything looked clean and up to date. So, I’m going to stay here now.”