Workshop shows students ins, outs of getting a job

When it comes to interviews, many students struggle. Whether it be due to shyness, nervousness or something else, many students feel intimidated. 

To help out with negative feelings toward interviews, the Career Center held an interview skills workshop that gave students tips on the process of applying for a job. 

Colm Bourke, a career coach at the career center, gave a presentation with advice about every aspect of landing a job such as the application process, how to communicate with future employers and tips for interviews.  

The ultimate goal was to help students obtain the skills required to secure a job. Some of these skills include confidence, individuality and leadership. However, he said there is more that goes into it than that. Timeliness is another big aspect of interviewing that is often forgotten about. Being on time shows future employers you are serious about the job you are hoping to secure. 

“By being prepared for the interview, you are able to have more control over any anxieties,” Bourke said. “When you don’t give yourself enough time to get to the interview, you can run into problems – [like] having to stop for gas or traffic jams,” Bourke said. 

During the workshop, Bourke asked students to list their own personal strengths and weaknesses. Some of students’ answers included confidence, enthusiasm and being able to work well with others as strengths and being introverted and feeling shame if not hired as weaknesses.  

Bourke helped subside students’ negative feelings by explaining that not being hired after an interview is okay. 

“If you are not hired after the interview, even if you felt it went well, take it as a learning lesson,” Bourke said. “By responding better and taking responsibility, you will be prepared for the next interview.” 

Madison Smith, a senior kinesiology major, felt the workshop truly helped students prepare for future interviews. 

“It’s important because students need to be prepared for life after graduation,” Smith said.