Ragin’ Cajuns sweep ULM on the season | Sports Briefs

ULM volleyball fell to the Ragin’ Cajuns for the second time this year. After first dropping their matchup in Monroe last month, the results were the same in Lafayette with another 3-0 loss (25-17, 25-22, 25-13) for the Warhawks.

ULM’s offense was limited through their three sets of action. The Cajuns recorded 41 kills compared to 28 by the Warhawks.

The Cajuns recorded at least 13 kills and finished with an attack percentage of .250 or greater in all three sets.

Also three Cajuns reached double-digit kills while no Warhawk broke the 10  kill mark.

The Cajuns controlled the net with seven blocks opposed to ULM’s lone block.

The Warhawks were lead in kills with nine from Cali Assaley. Assaley also led ULM with 11 digs. Mariana Volponi e Giordan dished out 10 assists. Darby Fisher recorded a pair of aces for the Warhawks.

ULM came closest to winning a set in the second set of the match. ULM pieced together a 5-0 scoring run to take their largest lead of the match at 15-12. However the Cajuns responded with a run of their own and rode their newfound lead through the remainder of the set.

The Warhawks failed to reach 20 points through sets one and three.

ULM has not won a set since Oct. 10 in their 3-1 loss to Arkansas State.

Next time out, ULM will conclude their regular season with two home matches. ULM hosts Texas State and UT Austin this weekend.

Historic success for cross country

The ULM women’s cross country team posted its best-ever finish at the Sun Belt Conference Cross Country Championship since joining the league before the 2006 season.

Seniors Benadine Chelimo was Second Team All-SBC and Sharon Jerono was Third Team All-SBC in Friday’s meet at Brookley By the Bay.

The Warhawks finished fourth as a team with 121 points. ULM’s previous best finish was sixth place in its first SBC Championship in 2006. Six of seven ULM runners set personal best times, including all five scoring runners.

Arkansas State won the women’s title with 45 points. A-State senior Pauline Meyer won the individual title in the 5K race in 16:51.5.

Chelimo finished 10th individually to pick up Second-Team All-Sun Belt Conference honors, finishing in 17:55.9. Jerono followed right behind Chelimo in 18:12.9 to finish on the Third-Team All-Sun Belt Conference.

Freshman Eliana Battle finished 30th in a time of 19:04.2. 

Sophomore Kimone Campbell also set a personal-best to finish 33rd in 19:12.5. Freshman Jalynn Lozano rounded out the scoring in 36th in 19:16.7.

Freshmen Sohalia Schoen and Emily Allen also competed. Schoen set a personal-best time of 20:01.3 and finished 52nd while Allen was 63rd in 20:47.3.

The Warhawks compete in the NCAA South Central Regional Championship on Nov. 12 in Waco, Texas.

Men’s golf finishes 9th in Hawaii

The ULM men’s golf team finished ninth after shooting a final round 4-over-par 292 to finish at 24-over-par 888 (301-295-292) in the Hoakalei Collegiate Invitational at Hoakalei Country Club Tuesday.

This concludes the fall portion of men’s golf. They will return to action on Feb. 7

San Diego won the tournament at 7-under-par 857 (287-288-282). USD’s Charlie Reiter won the individual crown at 8-under-par 208 (70-69-69).

Sophomore Melan Dhaubhadel and junior Jacob Agerschou each finished in a tie for 29th at 6-over-par 222.

Dhaubhadel shot a final round 1-under-par 71 for his best round of the tournament (77-74-71). Starting on the 14th hole, he birdied the par-5 18th, par-5 second, par-4 fourth and par-4 fifth to go with 11 pars.

Agerschou shot 1-over-par 73 in the final round (74-75-73). Starting on the 12th, he birdied the par-4 16th, 18th, par-4 eighth and par-5 ninth and picked up nine pars.

Sophomore Mikkel Schmitt was 36th with an even-par 72 in the final round to finish at 7-over-par 223 (75-76-72). Starting on the 15th hole, he eagled the 18th, added birdies on the fourth and par-5 13th and collected 11 pars.

Junior Otto Van Buynder was 46th, posting a final round 5-over-par 77 to finish at 9-over-par 225 (76-72-77). He started on the 11th hole and birdied the 13th and par-4 first holes, added an eagle on the par-5 ninth and knocked down 10 pars.