Greenhouse complex, endowment announced

The Flint and Jimmy Robertson Agriculture Greenhouse Complex is more than just a greenhouse complex—It’s a place for students to learn. It gives them the opportunity to feel a connection to what they’re learning in class.

According to Blair David, the agribusiness program coordinator, this is what makes the greenhouse complex so special and important to ULM’s campus.

Last Wednesday, the Flint and Jimmy Robertson Greenhouse Endowment was established with an initial investment of $50,000, along with an additional $50,000 to renovate and enhance the complex.

The complex consists of three greenhouses along with a potting shed and an equipment shed. Agriscience students use the complex for learning purposes.

The donation was made by Dan Robertson, the son of Flint and nephew of Jimmy after whom the complex is named.

Flint and Jimmy Robertson are two brothers who created their family business, Robertson Produce, in 1947. 

Robertson produce grew from a single-truck operation to a state-of-the-art distribution center which now operates out of a 45,000-square-foot facility in Monroe.

David, whose students regularly use the complex, emphasized the importance of the Robertson’s legacy and how much they’ve helped the Department of Agriscience. 

“He [Dan] so generously planted that seed with us so we can grow,” David said.

Dan is a 1989 ULM graduate, and said that while the agricultural program at ULM isn’t where it needs to be, it’s getting there. He looks forward to seeing what can be done with the endowment.

“I can’t think of a better way to honor our company and our family,” Dan said.

With the new source of funding, David said the potting shed will be redone so students can do more outdoor activities like growing corn.

Donations from the Robertson family have also allowed for new fans to be installed in the complex, a new evaporative cooler and an on-site bathroom.