ULM should have scooters

Dilasha Acharya

As an international student, it is hard to move around ULM and the city of  Monroe. 

While there are different modes of public transportation offered, there are concerns of safety and reliability. 

Electric scooters could be a perfect solution. Electric scooters are a convenient, light, comfortable and eco-friendly form of mobility for students who do not have any other mode of transportation.

Many schools and universities across the U.S. have electric scooters. 

Scooters can also be advantageous for residents that live on campus. They can keep their car parked in one place while having easier and faster access to campus dining and academic buildings. 

According to Arkansas State University, which welcomed electric scooters on campus, they received positive feedback from students and parents. Similarly, other universities such as The University of Maryland and Georgia Southern University also put electric scooters on campus. They saw that the scooters were beneficial to students, professors and other faculty members. 

Electric scooters also allow the university to take a green stance on energy.  According to Forbes, electric scooters are more than 1,000% more efficient per mile than the average vehicle. 

The article also mentions that the charging process for the scooter cuts down on carbon emmissions. 

Taking this environmentally friendly stance will attract many students to ULM.

While electric scooters will be convenient, there are possible negative impacts. 

There may be some mishaps caused by riding electric scooters. According to a study by The Verge for every 100,000 trips on electric scooters, 20 people suffer injuries. But with proper training and guidance, this service can be used well and provide much-needed assistance to the university.

The value of the electric scooters won’t be realized until it is implemented, but I would be thrilled if this scooter service became a reality at ULM.