$100,000 grant to fund education scholarships

This Thursday, Regions Bank will present a $100,000 grant to ULM’s Educators Rising program.

Educators Rising is a nonprofit organization that helps future educators both in high school and in college.

ULM launched the Educators Rising pilot program in two local high schools three years ago.

Amy Weems, an associate professor of education, said there is a shortage of qualified and committed teachers in Louisiana. 

“The goal was to create a comprehensive education pathway that includes key content and development of skills to prepare high school students for their transition in a teacher preparation program such as the ULM School of Education,” Weems said.

The grant will be used to provide two scholarships per year for the next five years, and will assist in retaining students in the School of Education.

To receive a Regions Bank Scholarship, students must be in good standing with the university and have at least a 2.5 GPA. 

They also must have completed a Regions Bank ULM Educators Rising partner program. 

Incoming freshman recipients can renew the scholarship for up to eight semesters. 

All other students recipients can renew the scholarship for the remaining semesters needed to complete a four-year degree. 

The grant presentation will mark the first ULM Educators Rising Campus Day on March 17 in the SUB ballrooms.

President Ronald Berry will also speak at the event, along with keynote speaker Eric Davis, who was the 2018 Louisiana Teacher of the Year. 

For more information about the scholarship the ULM Pre-Educator Pathway or Educators Rising, contact Weems at [email protected] or 318-342-1280.