Professors host drone workshop for middle, high school students

Chloe Chapel

Drones are one of the new technological advances the world is adapting to. 

Their growth in popularity means more people need to be trained to operate them. 

The ULM Aviation program quickly accommodated the drone’s popularity by offering a degree in Unmanned Aircraft Systems Management. 

Middle and high school students who wished to learn about UAS technology, regulations and have hands-on flying experience attended free drone workshops this month hosted by UAS management professors David King and Darrion Flunder-Jenkins.

These workshops were held on three Saturdays in March. 

In the mornings, the students met on the second floor of the SUB to learn about UAS technology and regulations. They then headed to Bayou Park in the afternoon to experience flying drones themselves. 

Students had the opportunity to fly three drones that all use different controllers to propel. 

One of the drones costs $6,000 and has a video camera attached to the bottom that can take 360° video. 

Blair David, an instructor in the School of Management, helped with the workshop by providing his own drone for students to fly. 

David prevented students from crashing by telling them which direction to go and when. 

Students also asked questions about David’s drone. One student asked, “What could make the drone crash?” 

“We got up so high a minute ago that a bird started chasing us […] so birds could knock it down,” David said. 

King said that 95 students showed up on the last day from cities across Louisiana. 

Some students came from as far as Baton Rouge from Helix Aviation Academy, and others came from Neville High School in Monroe.