Carley’s Corner: Freshman Advice

Carley Nail

Moving from high school to college can be really overwhelming. Everyone will tell you that college is different, but you don’t truly understand until you get here.

I remember when I moved into my dorm room for the first time. That night I sat in my room and thought about how this was the first time that I had truly been alone. I didn’t know my roommate and none of my close friends went to ULM.

But, freshman year became one of the best years of my life so far. I made great friends, made mistakes and learned a lot.

Here are a few tips and tricks that I picked up during my freshman year.

1) Get out of your comfort zone

Go to the welcome week events. I know sometimes it’s awkward and it’s easy to talk yourself out of going. Even if you don’t have anyone to go with you, go by yourself. Every freshman is in the same boat you are. College is a time where you can truly be yourself. No one is judging you like you assume they are; this isn’t high school.

2) Study

Even if you were the smartest student at your high school, you need to study. Don’t think that because you didn’t need to study in high school that your college classes will be a breeze.

3) Find a Routine

When you have a schedule, going to class and doing homework is so much easier. I recommend getting a planner or a dry-erase calendar. Planning your week makes it less likely that you’ll forget about something.

Hopefully, with this advice, your freshman year will run a little smoother.

If you have a topic or question that you would like to see in Carley’s Corner, email me at [email protected].