Students receive inspiration for business attire

Maggie Eubanks

Students and faculty hit the runway last Wednesday in the annual Career Style Show. Hosted by the Office of Career and Student Development, the fashion show gave students the opportunity to see what is appropriate to wear in business and professional settings.

Several RSOs had students walk the runway including the National Panhellenic Council, Student Government and the Cultural Diversity Council. After each organization walked, audience members would vote in a Kahoot poll on who was best fit for a day in a professional environment. 

Some faculty members even joined in on the fun such as Pamela Saulsberry and Valerie Fields who strutted down the stage in their own style and personality. 

Miss ULM Asja Jordan and Mr. ULM Jared Anders moderated the show and said it was great to see faculty members have an avenue to show their personality. 

“It’s always good to see our leaders and know them as people,” Anders said.

Jordan expressed how events like this help students prepare for life outside of college. 

“As young emerging professionals, we need to have insight on what’s appropriate and inappropriate to wear to business interviews and business outings,” Jordan said.

The event also granted students who participated a method of self-promotion and leadership. 

“I feel like I could be a good example to others and show what’s not to wear and express how it looks in my profession with the career walk,” Kiauna Rollins, a junior marketing major said.

The event was a great night of fashion and entertainment. Not only were students able to learn new tips on how to style themselves for the future, but they also got the chance to see faculty members in a new light. 

Kelly Morgan, a senior psychology major, emphasized how important this was to her and that every student should have this opportunity.

“Students deserve to be involved and have an opportunity to engage with everyone and with faculty and staff and students in high leadership positions,” Morgan said. 

At the end of the night, everyone was confident to strut their stuff in the business world and make the ULM family proud.