Carley’s Corner: Don’t Forget Your Roots.

Carley Nail

College students are busy. You have to find time for classes, homework, organizations and manage to have a social life.

Sometimes you feel like you’re too busy to go home, which is understandable.  Or maybe your hometown is four states away and you never get the chance to go home until Christmas.

Either way, it’s important to remember where you come from. 

Lately, I’ve been feeling burnt out and overwhelmed. I knew that I needed to take a break and give up some of my time to focus on doing something I love.

So I went to my hometown rodeo this weekend. 

Most people who know me from college wouldn’t expect that I’m a cowboy boot wearing, yeehaw yelling type of person. But for me, going home to small town USA is one of the most comforting ways to end a stressful week.

High school ties and traditions are important, especially here in the South. Many nearby high schools are having their homecoming football games soon. Visiting a high school game is another great way to return to your roots.

It never hurts to support those who are in the same position you used to be in.

When I go back to my high school for an event, it reminds me of how far I’ve gotten and everything that I’ve accomplished.

If you don’t have the opportunity to go home throughout the semester, you can find other ways to embrace where you come from.

You could call your family or hometown friends. I like to cook recipes that my mom taught me in high school whenever I start to miss having dinner with the family.

However or wherever you do it, reconnecting with your roots shows how you’ve grown.

If you have a topic or question that you would like to see in Carley’s Corner, email me at [email protected].