World Heart Day promotes health

Bikram Bhandari

ULM students celebrated World Heart Day on Sept. 29 by gathering in the Quad to inform students about the importance of keeping a healthy heart. 

World Heart Day raises awareness about the effects of heart disease. In addition to strokes, heart disease is the world’s leading cause of death. According to the World Heart Federation, the disease takes 18.6 million lives each year. 

The American Pharmacists Association hosted the event to show students the effects of high blood pressure and possible causes of heart attacks.

Since high blood pressure is one of the leading causes of heart attacks and death, students were given information regarding why they should keep their blood pressure in a healthy range.

Pharmacy professor Georgios Matthaiolampakis said, “People don’t realize but many are diagnosed with high blood pressure between the ages of 20 to 30.” 

Because of this, the Mayo Clinic suggests that everyone schedule an appointment with their doctor every two years to have their blood pressure checked and stay alert for any possible symptoms. Although many people with high blood pressure do not present symptoms, some possible signs are headaches, shortness of breath and nosebleeds.

A booth was also set up along with the informative event for students and faculty to get their blood pressure checked. 

The theme of the event was “Know Your Numbers,” promoting not only the awareness of the importance of blood pressure but also blood glucose, body mass index and cholesterol. “All these other factors are equally important for keeping the heart healthy and happy,” Georgios said.

Computer science freshman Ishant Shrestha found the event quite helpful as he found out he had slightly increased blood pressure. “Participating in the event was a lifesaver for me,” Shrestha said. “Who knows how much this blood pressure would have grown if left unchecked?” 

Students and faculty learned key information to stay healthy and happy.