Rock ‘n’ roll legend Jimmy Buffett dies at 76

Any time you relax on the beach with your toes in the sand, you are destined to hear Jimmy Buffett’s smash hit “Margaritaville.” It is a canon event. 

Jimmy Buffett peacefully passed away on Sept. 1. Yet, his legacy will live on beyond “Margaritaville.” 

Growing up in Mississippi, Buffett embraced life on the coast since his childhood. He spent his weekends sailing the Gulf of Mexico or singing at local dives. It seemed that wherever Buffett went, music followed. 

Buffett never truly found his oceanside paradise until he visited Key West. Key West, surrounded by palm trees and crystal-clear waters, appeared as heaven on earth. There he wrote hits such as “Grapefruit – Juicy Fruit” and “Why Don’t We Get Drunk.”

Buffett traveled throughout the U.S., refusing to “stay all season” in Key West. He even performed at the ULM Fant-Ewing Coliseum in 1975.

While these singles made Buffett a mildly successful recording artist, the famous song “Margaritaville” shot him into stardom. “Margaritaville” revolutionized the rock genre through its theme of escapism and distinct sound. Tropical rock would not exist today without “Margaritaville.” 

Buffett continued to release music after “Margaritaville.” Classics such as “Cheeseburger In Paradise” and “It’s Five O’clock Somewhere” come to mind. He released over 30 albums and toured almost every year up to his death. But “Margaritaville” defined Buffett’s career as a pioneer of tropical rock. After all, everyone wants to escape daily life and be “wastin’ away again in Margaritaville.” 

To give his fans a taste of paradise, Buffett expanded “Margaritaville” into a multimillion-dollar chain of restaurants and hotels. The franchise dominates the tourism industry. 

As Buffet would say, “If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” 

Buffett recorded one last studio session. His new album, “Equal Strains on All Parts” will be released on Nov. 3. These 14 new songs may provide some solace to grieving parrotheads.

Next time you are at the bar or visit the beach, pour one out for Jimmy Buffett because it is always five o’clock somewhere.