White House overreach can’t be ignored

Tribune Content Agency

Having the Biden Administration and the Federal Bureau of Investigations try to control what we post on social media isn’t something most people would have guessed to mark off their checklist, but it’s happened. 

The Biden Administration and FBI have been ruled of likely violating the First Amendment according to the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals.

It is a very scary thought to know that the people in charge of this country and the people who should be enforcing our laws are the ones very ones breaking them.

The ruling started with a lawsuit that came from two states — Missouri and Louisiana. Attorneys from both states alleged that the Biden Administration and FBI have coerced big social media platforms from their area to take down any posts about COVID-19 and the upcoming election.

Even though it hasn’t been made clear what exact companies were coerced, we should all be able to agree — and be very concerned — that this is a huge overstep and violation of the First Amendment.

The government trying to ban and control what the American people post is an issue all across the board. 

“It confirms what we have said from the very beginning: the federal government is not permitted to engage in viewpoint suppression, no matter your political ideology,” Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry said in a statement.

There have been two very big sides to this story. One is that the government has to protect the people from false and misleading information, especially when it comes to health regulations and threats on upcoming elections. 

The other is that the people have a right to state how they feel on the matter and opposing this would be taking away their right to the First Amendment. 

The government should try to protect its people, but not where there is a clear violation of long-established rights.

While the White House can try to justify what it did to put pressure on Big Tech and social media companies, ultimately the Court came to the right ruling for Americans.

“The government cannot coerce big social media platforms to take down posts the government doesn’t like,” the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said in its ruling.

View Comments (1)