‘Ahsoka’ brings balance to ‘Star Wars’ franchise

Fans of “Star Wars: The Clone Wars” turned away from the Dark Side after watching  “Ahsoka.” Disney+’s newest series gives life to the tired franchise by returning to its roots. 

The live-action series follows the story of Ahsoka Tano, the former padawan of Jedi-turned-Sith lord Anakin Skywalker. Accompanied by her padawan Sabine Wren and droid Huyang, Ahsoka travels across the galaxy in search of the missing General Thrawn. 

Before the release of “Ahsoka,” the character primarily appeared in the animated series “The Clone Wars” and “Rebels.” Ahsoka acted as the snippy foil to the turmoiled Anakin Skywalker. After he became Darth Vader, she joined the resistance.

Fans thought Ahsoka’s story ended with the Battle of Endor, after which she disappeared from the Star Wars canon. But it appears as if Disney had other plans. 

The new series tracks Ahsoka’s growth from a young Padawan to a powerful Jedi. Characters from “Rebels” and “The Clone Wars” help Ahsoka along her journey.

If you don’t understand anything I just wrote, don’t worry. Luckily, in-depth knowledge of the Star Wars canon is an elective, not a required course. 

At its core, “Ahsoka” focuses on the ever-raging battle between good and evil. It explores the life of one woman as she fights against the death and violence that almost consumed her. As Ahsoka says in Episode 5, “I choose to live.” 

The fate of the galaxy hinges on a single choice. Ahsoka’s decision shows the control we have over our destinies.  

Rosario Dawson embodies the role of Ahsoka Tano. Not many actresses can dual-wield lightsabers while wearing pounds of prosthetics. Dawson does it with grace and ease. 

Hayden Christensen stole the show with his performance in Episode 5. He switches from playing the noble Anakin Skywalker to Darth Vader within a matter of seconds. Christensen redeemed himself from the infamous “I don’t like sand” scene from the prequels. 

The CGI of “Ahsoka” is visually stunning and impressive. Who would’ve thought that CGI space whales could look like an exhibit at a local aquarium. 

The makeup and costume department replicated the physical appearances of the animated characters in the show. From Ahsoka’s head tails to Sabine’s Mandalorian armor, the costumes catered to each character. 

Disney took a risk by deciding to film a live-action continuation of two animated series. Viewers of “Ahsoka” are now reaping the reward.