Mental health is not an individual project

Pixabay

Conversations around mental health are gaining momentum. As a society, we’re shedding the veil.

People seem to have embraced the importance of good mental health. Going to see a therapist is more common and the stigma around mental health medications is becoming a relic of the past. 

According to the Business Wire, 65% of respondents in a survey said they’re more likely to discuss mental health with their friends now than before the pandemic.

While this is a step in the right direction, there’s still more work to be done on the path to having an overall mentally healthy society. 

We need to be aware of our own mental health, but we should also care about the mental health of those around us. 

Mental health awareness is important all of the time, not just when it is convenient. 

According to the University of Rochester, Americans tend to view themselves first as individuals with the freedom and responsibility to manage their own lives and set their own goals.

America prides itself on individualism. It’s the land of the free and home of the brave. But being individualistic doesn’t mean that we the people only need to care about ourselves.

You can focus on yourself while looking out for the benefit of the group. With respect to mental health, Americans should follow this greater good mentality.

This happens not only in our day-to-day life, but it’s also commonly displayed through our media.

In 2021, actor and singer Olivia Rodrigo released her first single from her album “SOUR.” 

The single was named “drivers license” and talked about Rodrigo’s experience with a guy who broke her heart. 

Many fans assumed that Rodrigo was talking about her co-star Joshua Bassett. 

In a podcast interview with Zane Sang, Bassett opened up about his mental health. He received death threats and was afraid to leave his house. 

According to Billboard, Bassett was hospitalized a few days after the song was released for near-fatal septic shock brought on by stress.

Most of these fans would probably say that they care about mental health. But when it came to someone that they felt deserved the hate, they lashed out without considering the full scope of the consequences.

Fans rushed to Rodrigo’s defense, but they did so at the expense of Bassett’s mental and physical health. 

When we talk about mental health, we have to be thinking about everybody’s mental health, not just our own. Too much self-centeredness can lead to toxic behavior in the name of “self-care.”