Blood drive on campus for Sickle Cell Awareness Month

Supreme Dallakoti

ULM’s School of Medical Laboratory Science partnered with LifeShare Blood Center last week to host a blood drive in the Hangar over the course of two days in observance of Sickle Cell Awareness Month. 

The blood drive focused on the importance of blood donations needed for those with that disease. 

According to the CDC, sickle cell disease is a group of inherited red blood cell disorders that affect the hemoglobin, preventing it from properly carrying oxygen through the body. 

Because sickle cell disease causes a patient’s red blood cells to become sickled and break apart or die, patients often require frequent blood transfusions. 

Junior medical laboratory science major Czen Tripathi explains how these donations impact those with the disease. 

“Blood donations offer a source of healthy red blood cells to replace the sickle ones in these patients,” Tripathi said. “Blood drives truly save lives by providing this critical supply for the treatments and for emergencies.”

ULM consistently has blood drives each semester, allowing students, faculty and members of the community to come out and donate. 

Having the LifeShare bus on campus gives students an easier way to make donations than having to drive to the blood center. This drives up the number of donations they might get otherwise.

Debbie Wisenor, associate professor of medical science, assisted in hosting the blood drive. She believes that having these events benefit a wide range of people in need.

“The Warhawk family is helping to fill the critical need for blood products for patients in the community,” she said. “These drives help patients of all ages, from premature babies to the elderly.”

Wisenor explained that there is no substitute for human blood, so without donations, there is nothing that can be done for these medical procedures. She also mentioned that every two seconds in the United States, there is someone who needs blood.

Many students stepped up to make these lifesaving donations. Junior medical laboratory science major Jacie Ervin donated blood at the event. She recognized that sickle cell disease is a cause that specifically requires blood donations more than we may realize. 

“These cases are much more widespread than we think. They could happen to a classmate, professor, friend or even alum that appear completely normal,” she said. “Having the drives on campus really increases the publicity and makes it much easier for college students to become active in supporting their community.”

ULM and LifeShare will continue to partner for future events, allowing the Warhawk community to make an impact. Students can look out for the next blood drive or visit lifeshare.org to find a donation center now.