Alpha Kappa Alpha hosts Beyoncé Bash

Jacobe Boston

All the ladies of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority, single or otherwise, capped off their week with a Beyoncé-themed party at Bayou Circle. 

The party signaled the end of AKA’s week, during which they also held activities and events such as a popsicle handout and workshop about walking in heels. 

On Friday night, the ladies accented their usual salmon pink and apple green attire with silver, chrome and other metallic colors. AKA members spent the night playing hit songs from Queen B’s most recent album, “Renaissance.” Rap, R&B and hip-hop also filled the air as people danced the evening away.

The “Renaissance” party served to highlight Beyoncé’s tour, the Renaissance World Tour, coming to an end after nearly five months. 

Assistant Secretary of AKA Jayla Stewart explained that her sorority wanted to “do a little Beyoncé-themed party and make our week’s theme about Beyoncé because her album is popping right now.”

Aside from highlighting Beyoncé’s music, Stewart also noted that the party served as a social event for the campus. 

“I think events like this can benefit the future by adding diversity,” Stewart said. “This is a way where you can build your social skills and gain friends if you don’t know anybody on campus.”

Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity member Randall Hughes said the event fell at a time when everyone needed to take a break from studies and exams.

“It’s been fun to talk to everybody, listen to music and be destressing out here,” Hughes said.

Whether you are affiliated with Greek life or not, the “Renaissance” party made everyone feel included with its lively atmosphere. Shaquandera Hicks mentioned that despite a slow start to the evening, a lot of people showed up because “everybody is looking for a move on a Friday.”

Hicks also spoke about how the event felt like an opportunity for those who want to break out of their shell.

“It brings unity because a lot of people are just wallflowers on campus,” Hicks said. “But once they get out and experience events like this, it’ll actually make them want to be more involved on campus.”