Sigma Tau Delta interviews poet laureate

Most students despise the poetry section of any sophomore literature class. They nod off while reading the works of Walt Whitman. However, a new generation of poets, including Ada Limón, hope to instill a love of poetry in college students.

Last Tuesday, ULM’s Sigma Tau Delta participated in a nationwide interview with the poet. Arranged as a Q&A, Limón answered questions written by college students.  

Limón made history as the first Mexican-American woman to become a U.S. poet laureate. Her six collections of poetry provide readers with intimate knowledge of Limón’s triumphs and struggles. Readers become a confidant of Limón as she shares her experiences with racism and infertility.

“There were times when writing poems felt very hard for me because it felt vulnerable to admit my body wasn’t going to have children in a culture that feels very into women being mothers,” Limón said. 

Limón’s collections focus on topics relevant to college students. Her tone and language are easy to understand for the everyday reader who has not studied caesuras and line breaks. 

“One of the tasks that I’ve really taken to heart is to make people understand that you can read a poem and not understand every word,” Limón said.

Limón stresses the importance of feeling when reading a poem. At its core, poetry is the simplest form of human expression. Readers just need to listen to the author’s emotions.

Sigma Tau Delta broadcast Limón’s interview to the organization’s 770 chapters. The International English Honors Society encourages college students to “transform the world with words.” The organization frequently hosts interviews with famous authors, book readings and writing workshops. 

“Sigma Tau Delta’s collaboration with Ada Limón gives her a chance to share her love for poetry with college students, who are hungry for the kind of visceral, authentic connection with life that poetry provides,” Patrick Morgan, faculty advisor for Sigma Tau Delta, said.

Students left the interview with a deeper appreciation for the laborious work of poets. 

“It was a joy to listen to Mrs. Limón speak,” Sigma Tau Delta President Mallory Kaul said. “She shared a great deal about the place of creative work in this progressing world, which meant a lot to myself and the other English majors present.”