Self-defense training educates students, faculty

Katherine Babin

The Office of Protected Rights and Title IX Compliance hosted a free self-defense training on Tuesday at the Hanger for students, faculty and staff.

Robert and Gina Hanser,  with the help of Protected Rights Officer and Title IX Coordinator Pamela Jackson, gave a presentation about Rape Aggression Defense (R.A.D.)

According to the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network, on average, a sexual assault occurs every two minutes in the U.S. 

Hanser started the event by providing students with the best way to fight back against an assailant in public: yelling. He talked about possible actions that are more likely to put students in danger.

The most common way people put themselves at risk is unawareness. People who are focused on their cell phones are unlikely to be conscious of their environment. This makes it easier for the perpetrator to attack.

The assaulter always looks for opportunities. Eradicating easy opportunities makes it harder for them to strike. 

“If a student knows how to recognize dangers and exercise situational awareness, they can avoid a lot of situations with them being potentially victimized,” Hanser said.

About 90% of self-defense education can be described by four elements of risk. According to Hanser, these four elements include risk awareness, reduction, recognition and avoidance.

Most sexual assaults are committed by someone the victim knows, and most commonly by their partner. Because of their relationship, the victim is less likely to stop the assault.

Hanser taught attendees how to defend themselves using different parts of the body, including the fist, open palm, extended knuckles, elbow, knee and feet. The actions change based on the potential actions of an attacker.

Hanser also demonstrated some specific self-defense techniques. They showed students the block and parry, front strangulation, choke from behind and ground defenses. After there is space between you and the attacker, you are more likely to have the chance to step back or kick. 

Taking caution and de-escalating any potential conflicts can make a difference. 

“The best fight is the fight you don’t have to do,” Hanser said.

The event ended after a Q&A session between hosts and students. 

Jackson said the Office of Protected Rights and Title IX Compliance plans to have more events like this in April in support of Sexual Assault Awareness Month.