Hawktoberfest fosters bonds with alumni

Jacobe Boston

Current students, alumni and faculty celebrated the beginning of autumn with a Monroe spin on an age-old German tradition. 31 Ambassadors hosted its fifth annual Hawktoberfest Thursday at Bayou Pointe. 

The organization initially created Hawktoberfest as a fundraiser. Now, 31 Ambassadors use Hawktoberfest to foster relationships among alumni, students and faculty. 

“Hawktoberfest is a way to bring the community to our beautiful campus and allow them the opportunity to mix with current students,” Becca Kleinpeter, sponsor of 31 Ambassadors, said. 

Vendors, such as the Flying Tiger Brewery and Cut Water Spirits, served audiences specialty cocktails and craft beers. Students wandered from booth to booth, tasting locally sourced brews. 

Toria Thomas represented the Seventh Tap Brewing Project and traveled from Shreveport to attend Hawktoberfest. 

“Seventh Tap Brewing Project is very supportive of the event and wanted to be here,” Thomas said. “We love this state and would do anything we can to support the universities and locals of Louisiana.”

For underage students, organizers created original mocktails, which are non-alcoholic beverages. Some of the mocktails served include Apple Jacks, Medusa Punch and Warhawk Blend. After working up an appetite, students feasted upon jambalaya, sliders and eggrolls. 

The Warhawks competed in cornhole competitions and challenged each other to board games. Malvina Kartamyshev, a second-year  VCOM student, expressed that she enjoyed hanging out with her friends outside the classroom.

“It’s nice talking to my classmates outside of school since we are always so focused on what we’re doing there,” Kartamyshev said. 

The Taylor Made Band had people on their feet, performing line dances. The band played groovy songs, including New Edition’s “Can You Stand the Rain” and Cheryl Lynn’s “To Be Real.” Mark Taylor, the lead member of the Taylor Made Band, explained that he wanted to create an upbeat tempo for the audience to help them have a better time. 

Students left the festival knowing the pounding headache and ensuing hangover would be worth it in the morning.