Warhawks score early goal, draw Dukes

ULM Athletics

An early lead for the ULM women’s soccer team in its away match against James Madison was not enough to secure a victory as the game ended 1-1. 

This match marked the first meeting between the Warhawks (7-2-4; 2-1-2 Sun Belt Conference) and the Dukes (6-2-5; 3-0-2 SBC).

ULM midfielder Mara Grutkamp intercepted the ball in the opponent’s half and assisted defensive midfielder Lena Göppel, who scored a banger from 30 yards out into the top right corner to get a lead. ULM got off to a dream start scoring in the 4th minute against James Madison, who had been unbeaten in its previous six games.

Even with the lead, the Warhawks kept attacking. ULM managed to get three shots within the first 10 minutes of the game. 

To turn things in James Madison’s favor, the team made substitutions that prioritized offense.

ULM goalkeeper Mickaela Leal saved a 1-on-1 shot, denying the first goal for the hosts in the 40th minute. The first half ended after another save from Leal, and it was 1-0 in favor of ULM.

ULM, in search of more goals, substituted their forward Eve Blakey for Emelie Kobler.

James Madison started the second half with a goal in the 51st minute to tie the score. 

The Dukes intercepted the ball after a throw-in by ULM. James Madison found itself behind the Warhawks’ defense. A shot from outside the box resulted in a goal as it went just above ULM goalie Mickaela Leal. 

With that goal, James Madison played more confidently as it started controlling the ball more. 

A pass from Göppel to ULM forward Skylar Blaise in the 63rd minute created an opportunity for ULM to get back in the scoresheet, but the James Madison defense did not let her past the box, shutting down any potential scoring opportunities.

The Dukes found themselves through ULM’s defense once again in the 68th minute of the game.

James Madison’s offense shot on top of the goalpost, almost giving the Dukes the win.

Two things made the difference in the second half between ULM and James Madison: confidence and substitutions. After the goal to tie the score, the Dukes controlled and dominated the second half; James Madison had six shots in the second half alone. The Dukes made frequent substitutions which helped reduce fatigue. ULM tried pressing and holding the ball, but the team was not as efficient. 

This was the second consecutive draw for ULM as it continues climbing the conference rankings.