Sororities, fraternities compete in step show

Alpha Kappa Alpha

The National Pan-Hellenic Council hosted its annual step show on Friday night. Students and faculty flooded Fant-Ewing Coliseum, excited to watch the epic showdown. 

The council awarded $1000 to the best performance from each sorority and fraternity.

DJ Twins welcomed students, playing a mix of oldies with modern hits by Doja Cat and Ice Spice. 

Last year’s champions, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, won the first-place prize for their performance inspired by Beyoncé. Wearing sparkly outfits and high-heeled white boots, the sisters stepped to the Queen Bee’s newest album, “Renaissance.” The performance required the sisters to remain in rhythm and unison while performing a variety of elaborate moves. 

“I like seeing the creativity that comes to the table,” Meghan Olinger, director of student advocacy, said.

The AKA steppers credited their award-winning performance to the organization’s 50 years of sisterhood, service and scholarship.

Alpha Phi Alpha won the top prize out of the competing fraternities. The fraternity captivated the audience with their horrifying rendition of Jordan Peele’s “Us.” The fraternity brothers, half acting as tethers, tried to outstep their clones in unison. 

The crowd erupted when the fraternity performed difficult acrobatic tricks. Half of the brothers jumped over the tethers and kept stepping into their next act. At the end of the performance, one man ripped through his suit and revealed a Warhawk shirt underneath.

“We have put too much preparation into the performance,” Long Pham, a member of Alpha Phi Alpha, said. 

The other organizations had show-stopping performances as well. Sigma Gamma Rho incorporated the Halloween spirit with a spooky performance.

Despite experiencing technical difficulties, the sisters of Kappa Theta hit every note and step. 

“I really enjoyed it. The Kappa Theta Poodles really went for it in their steps and even had a member break their cane and did not miss a beat. They came to show up and entertain,” Jasmine Marshall, a step show judge, said.