Students compete in annual Chili Cook-Off

Beau Benoit

Students fought off the chills with warm bowls of chili at the 38th annual Chili Cook-Off. 31 Ambassadors and Alumni Association sponsored the heated competition, inviting 11 organizations to face off for the grand prize.  

After checking in with 31 Ambassadors, taste testers visited different booths across the Grove. RSOs such as Catholic Campus Ministry, Alpha Phi Alpha and Campus Movement passed out bowls of chili to hungry students and alumni. 

Ultimately, the CCM won first place, with Delta Sigma Phi fraternity placing second. 

Senior biology major Colby Breaux cooked the award-winning chili for the CCM. He believed that his Southern roots and cooking experience contributed to their win. 

“I’m cooking with my dad’s recipe. We’re from the Deep South, and nobody cooks better than him,” Breaux said. “So, if he could extend his good cooking skills to me, I think we had a good chance.”

The judges of the Chili Cook-Off consisted of alumni, chefs and students. Titleholders Mr. and Miss ULM surprised participants by judging the competition and helping select the winner. 

“I think it was great to be a part of another ULM tradition, especially since this was our last official event as ULM titleholders,” Miss ULM Leslie Hobgood said. 

31 Ambassadors hosts the Chili Cook-Off each year, seeking to foster relationships between students and alumni. By opening the competition to local organizations, 31 Ambassadors hopes to increase student engagement with alumni. 

Senior occupational therapy major Randall Hughes is a member of 31 Ambassadors who helped organize and put on the event.

“The Chili Cook-Off is a really great time to have some fun, relax with other people and 

enjoy some chili and some cold weather,” Hughes said. 

The Chili Cook-Off was the highlight of a fun-filled family tailgate.