Bry Hall gallery spotlights curious, strange, surreal

Weird and wonderful comes together at the Crabwalk Art Exhibition presented at ULM throughout January. Curated by ULM art professor Cliff Tresner, the exhibit is displayed in Bry Hall for the community to view.

The art gallery features works from artists all around the country in a variety of artistic mediums. Some works include copper, fiber, oil on canvas, digital print on metal and several other mixed-media pieces.

Many installations are abstract art, conveying the theme of strangeness and curiosity. Some include dripping sculptures hung from the walls or draping over another object. Many paintings depict colorful canvases adorned with unique shapes. 

Some viewers, including ULM art alum Justin Lacombe, appreciated the artists while visiting the gallery.

“Cliff Tresner and Dara Engler both had great pieces in the show,” Lacombe said. “I was so impressed by the variety of mediums used throughout each project, each piece having its unique flair.”

Many of the pieces in the gallery have a deeper meaning behind their visuals. Tresner explained that he uses art to convey his emotions and opinions about the world.

“My work is a reflection of my thoughts and concerns with the current environment, politically and as pertains to climate,” Tresner said. “When making a piece, I realize how interconnected my practice is with all aspects of my life.”

VAPA exhibits the works of many artists throughout the year, encouraging students to participate. 

Some of this includes artwork from collaborating universities or just ULM. Many high school or local exhibitions and ones with local artists from the community also take place.

Nicholas Bratcher, director of VAPA, explained the importance of students being involved in the arts during college.

“Student artwork is something that we strive to cultivate at ULM,” Bratcher said. “This gives our students the opportunity to hone their skills, accept and react to criticism of their art, and provides a real-world experience for our art students.” 

VAPA collects work from students  and faculty to put on display in juried art exhibitions. 

Students can check out the Crabwalk Gallery until Feb. 1 to experience the strange and beautiful artworks. When you stop by, leave your comments in the sign-in book.