NAACP presents Finish the Lyric Night

courtesy ULM NAACP

Students put their memory to the test last Wednesday night. The NAACP challenged willingly participants to finish the song lyrics at its NAACP Finish the Lyric Night. 

To kick off the spring semester, the NAACP hosted a get-together to give students a night off from the studying. 

This lyric challenge surprisingly put more than just fun on the line. NAACP officers picked songs to play for 30-45 seconds in categories of R&B or Hip Hop. After the time was up, participants had to complete the next line of the song or risk getting pied in the face for a wrong answer.

The night of singing and laughing provided a fun time for students to take a break in the hustle and bustle of the new semester. NAACP President KeyAira Lewis explained why her organization likes to host entertaining events such as this one.

“We love hosting events like this so that students can relax and step away from school and life for a little while,” Lewis said. “We know that mental health is very important, and we want students to be able to be free from their stress and make some great memories.”

The NAACP’s presence on campus serves to bring the ULM community together regardless of race and help African Americans to socially and academically advance during college. 

Some students enjoyed making new friends  and taking some time to themselves. Senior nursing major Brittney Roberson loves coming to the events to relax and hang out with other students.

“I enjoyed getting to meet new people and having a chance to relax before classes and homework get too hectic,” Roberson said. 

Lewis explained why it is important that her organization exists on campus and can provide events like this to the student body.

“Events like this one that are NAACP hosted are usually to bring unity within its  students,” Roberson said. “Some events also cater to the history and development toward African Americans, still putting an emphasis on the overall integration between all persons.”