Lil Nas X deserves backlash

Tribune Content Agency

Whether you are religious or not, it has never been cool to mock someone’s beliefs, no matter what they may be.

The latest music video by Lil Nas X titled “J Christ,” which debuted 69 on the Billboard Hot 100, consisted of religious representation, and some might say misuse. 

In the music video, the artist is seen being crucified by the LGBTQ community, letting him down from the cross. 

This is not the only song the 24-year-old rapper has released that’s caused controversy.

He has a history of upsetting different groups, being in the LGBTQ+ community and making two music videos of him centered around Christianity. One is the devil character in “Montero,” and the other is a Christ-like figure in “J Christ.”

Christians claim he is “mocking” their religion, to which he responded that his song was never meant to mock anybody. 

“It was literally me saying I’m back like Jesus…anything I do related to religion can be seen as mockery,” Lil Nas X said in an interview with Billboard.

This entire situation makes the LGBTQ+ community look terrible, and frankly, I can understand the upset over the entire thing.

Some lines do not need to be crossed.

The backlash is already bad enough. Can one imagine what it would be if it were another faith being mocked, unintentionally or not? 

The public is in an uproar, saying things like “Cancel him!”

A TikTok user complained about the situation, saying canceling him was the only way to stop him. 

He claimed that Nas X was

taking advantage of Christians.

That’s one of the biggest issues we have today in the media; people will say and do anything to get attention, this music video being a fitting example. 

Canceling the artist will only lead to a rise in sales.

If you don’t agree with the mockery, don’t engage with it. Let the quiet withdrawal speak for itself and stop giving these folks a platform.