‘The Summer I Turned Pretty’ is worth the hype

With many scenes going viral on TikTok, the first two seasons of “The Summer I Turned Pretty” have been on everyone’s radar. The hit show is based on a book trilogy, with the first book selling over 10 million copies worldwide. “The Summer I Turned Pretty” is a beautifully written, romantic drama about a young girl caught in a love triangle between two brothers.

The story follows teenage Isabelle Conklin, nicknamed Belly, as she takes a yearly summer vacation with her mother, Laurel, and brother, Steven. Each year, the Conklin family stays at Cousins Beach, where Laurel’s longtime best friend Susannah and her two handsome sons—Conrad and Jeremiah— live in a beach house.

The book was charming and heartfelt, often showing Belly’s sensitive and self-conscious side. She matures throughout the novel, learning from her many bad decisions. Over the summer, she grapples with her feelings toward her childhood crush, Conrad, and the spark with her best friend, Jeremiah. Belly’s developing and conflicted feelings are excellently portrayed. At the same time, Steven is also shown dealing with his romantic struggles. As the Conklin siblings experience the ups and downs of young love, their not-so-perfect moments only make the characters feel more real.

The book not only portrays romance but also displays strong themes of family and friendship. I enjoyed seeing the dynamic of how Laurel and Susannah, along with their families, changed over the years during the flashback chapters. The two women remain close friends for many years, but you can see the sadness that has resulted from their struggles. After a few shocking reveals about Susannah’s relationship with her husband, it becomes even more apparent why her friendship with Laurel is so important.

Belly and Steven have classic sibling rivalry, including many fights and arguments throughout the story. I loved how, in the end, their rivalry usually resulted from Steven wanting to protect his sister. Steven felt responsible for looking out for her with his dad out of the picture. With Conrad and Jeremiah vying for her attention by the end of the book, he has to be concerned for his sister and his relationship with the brothers.

Ending with an unpredictable plot twist, the book left me longing for a beautiful and heartfelt ending. The change of tone in the end was devastating; both the characters and I felt like we missed out on that happy ending. However, the last chapter gives a sneak peek of what will come in the next book and gives me hope for more.

Overall, the book was a little cliché in terms of the teenage love triangle. However, the lovable characters and the beautiful storyline made it a unique take on the YA romance genre. I am excited to read the next book to see how the characters further develop and what may come of their relationships.