Students let the good times roll at Mardi Gras Ball

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler! In other words, let the good time roll.

Students danced the night away and enjoyed delicious Cajun food from Catahoula’s at SGA’s annual Mardi Gras Ball. The dance took place at Bayou Pointe right before the Mardi Gras break.

Gumbo, jambalaya, egg rolls and more traditional southern foods were served at an all-you-can-eat buffet, along with king cakes of many different flavors. SGA offered a cash bar for students 21 and up; custom ULM beads were even handed out to students.

Being from the South, SGA Student Life and Welfare Department Head Lizzy Moon was proud to help host the ball since Mardi Gras has such a special place in her heart.

“Seeing the ball come to fruition was super rewarding, especially after all the work that went into it,” Moon said. “From dancing to eating good food, I felt like the ball truly captured the Mardi Gras spirit!”

At the beginning of the ball, the 2024 Mardi Gras Court consisting of a king, queen, and belles and beaus for each school, was announced. After the coronation, the Krewe of Janus led the ULM court in a mini parade around the ballroom to throw beads to the attendees. The Krewe even brought a band to play traditional Mardi Gras music throughout the festivities.

Sophomore risk management and insurance major Bryant Breksa was honored to be named the School of Business and Social Sciences Beau. He enjoyed getting to celebrate with the Krewe and other court members.

“The best part of being on Mardi Gras Court was definitely being in the mini parade and being able to share the beads with my friends,” Breska said.

The ball allowed students to celebrate Mardi Gras in North Louisiana. Students from other states and countries got the chance to experience carnival the ULM way.