SGA deserves more recognition

The Student Government Association (SGA) gives the students at ULM a voice. We must recognize the hard work and positive changes SGA has caused on campus.

Being a senator involves challenges. I used to be an associate senator, and I was surprised to see how hard our peers worked to improve this university. The average day of an SGA senator consists of a lot of work and procedures. There’s a reason for that, though. SGA strives to achieve its best with everything. After all, SGA manages most on-campus events, programs, policies and initiatives.

“Our executive team and senators meet with various different departments that range from our administrative offices to our dean’s offices,” Hernandez said. “We make attempts to express our students’ opinions on matters that need to be addressed.”

Sometimes, it can be difficult to remember that the people in these positions are students like you and me. One thing that shouldn’t be difficult to remember is that they are working on behalf of the student body. SGA’s projects include everything from changing library hours to hosting large-scale events.

SGA implemented the Swipe Out Hunger program as well. Participating students chose to donate their Schulze cafeteria meal swipes. The donated cafeteria swipes went to students who lacked access to fresh food and adequate meals.

“These initiatives have been able to provide change and services to those students that need it most,” Hernandez said.

SGA pushed for Mental Health Awareness Day and Family Day, two projects that CBSS senator Maddie Herbert takes pride in.

“Mental Health Awareness Day featured a dedicated effort from our own Mental Health Task Force, culminating in the delightful Car Smash activity, which garnered significant promotion,” Maddie said.

Family Day helped strengthen student and family interactions by offering a pre-game lunch to enjoy.

Next time you think about criticizing SGA, imagine where ULM would be without them.