ULM’s Got Talent highlights students

Photo courtesy CAB
WINNER, WINNER: A panel of judges selected the top performers to win a cash prize.

Eleven talented students went head-to-head in a tight competition to see who was ULM’s most talented at ULM’s Got Talent.

CAB hosted the annual campus talent show, which allows students to share their hidden talents with their peers and to compete for a $300 cash prize on Feb. 6.

“The purpose of ULM’s Got Talent is to provide an opportunity for students to show their talents in an environment and platform that may not traditionally be offered to them,” Sidney Jones, Coordinator of Student Activities, said. “It is also to provide a showcase for the student body so that they can support, embrace and share the moment with their peers.”

Senior computer information systems major Jaylen Wade took home first place after performing an original song on the piano. The crowd clapped and danced in their seats, watching Wade in amazement.

Under the handle jaywade.keys, Wade amassed 1.5 million followers by showcasing his mastery of the keys. Wade’s massive audience obviously agrees with the judges that the musician deserved first place and the cash prize.

Senior communications major Brendan McClain won second place and $200 by singing “When I Was Your Man” by Bruno Mars. Halfway through the song, McClain pulled out a rubber chicken and had it “sing” along with him for the rest of the performance.

McClain’s comedic abilities and bright attitude won the crowd and the judges over.

Freshman biology major Kelly Lohman won $100 and placed third in the talent show by singing “She Used to be Mine” from “Waitress the Musical.”

“I would encourage anybody who has any interest in doing the talent show to do it,” Lohman said. “I had a great time on and off stage — getting to meet people and make friends backstage was really the best part of it all. Everyone is so uplifting and supportive, and I got to do what I love — sing.”

Students participate in campus activities to develop themselves academically, professionally and socially. Those who don’t have a talent to showcase can still enjoy attending the events and watching others perform.

“My favorite performer was Kelly Lohman because she has a refreshing and airy voice that is different from a lot of other singers who belt out and have a lot of runs,” senior biology major Agnes Ugokwe said.

If ULM’s Got Talent sounds fun to you, keep an eye out for similar activities. Some upcoming include Casino Night and Spring Fever. Find CAB on Instagram @ulm.cab and Facebook as ULM’s Campus Activities Board.