Love is not blind in reality television

Once again, Netflix threw desperate singles into the dating pods for our entertainment. Since the smash-hit first season, “Love is Blind” replaced the heartfelt romance with brain numbing drama. The newest season left many viewers questioning the legitimacy of any of the couples’ relationships.  

Season six was a train wreck from the start, with drunken emotional outbursts, cheating scandals and ridiculous, over-the-top fights. Shy boy Matthew led two women on for the first few episodes by giving them nearly word-for-word confessions of love. Another contestant named Clay demanded to know what his potential match looked like, despite the idea of love being blind. 

Although the first few episodes appeared to introduce some potentially successful couples, it wasn’t long before we got to watch them fall apart on live television. Several women became extremely jealous of one another. Meanwhile men were flirting with each other’s matches and scheming ways to cheat. It would almost be a wonder how the couples make it all the way to the altar, except that some viewers have figured out why most of the couples do. 

Many fans have taken to TikTok to share the discovery that “Love is Blind” contestants are required to sign a contract. This piece of paper holds them liable for thousands of dollars if they don’t walk down the aisle at the end of the season. This realization begs the question: do any of them want to be together by the time the wedding comes along? 

Knowing that couples sign a binding contract to stay together until the wedding at risk of going broke takes away any legitimacy the show had left. Also, the show has become so popular that it’s likely many people are only there to have their moment of fame. Some contestants even search for more roles. Many past contestants later appeared in other Netflix reality shows such as “The Perfect Match” and “Too Hot to Handle.”  

It’s safe to say that if you want to watch a show about real, authentic connections, “Love is Blind” is not the way to go. However, if you’re in the mood for a good old raunchy and hilarious reality show, the series might just be the perfect girls’ night go-to.