Crimes of the Heart garners laughter, tears

Jalisa Garth

Tragedy met comedy on stage last weekend at the Helen Spyker Theatre with “Crimes of the Heart” presented by ULM VAPA. Consisting of a small cast of only six actors, the production depicted the tragic regrouping of three sisters after a terrible event.  

The Pulitzer Prize-winning production, written originally by Beth Henley, tells the story of sisters discovering the disturbing past of their family. The girls attempt to cope with a series of tragedies, such as failing careers, infertility and domestic abuse.  

The play oddly combines heartbreak and humor that kept the audience laughing and crying at the same time. 

Junior music major Lexi Cannon played the eldest sister, Meg. Having only performed in musicals and operas, she was anxious to take on her first play with just dialogue involved. She was surprised to resonate with her character so much. 

“Meg is me when I don’t have my life together,” Cannon said. “I hope that everyone was able to walk away from the show and resonate with something, maybe one of the characters or deep topics it tackled.” 

Formally involved in stage design, this was Director Steven Burnside’s first production as the role of producer. Despite being on a strict schedule because three practices were taken away by the ice storm, he made sure that “Crimes of the Heart” thrived. It emerged as a beautiful display of artistic collaboration between the actors and the stage crew. 

The stage was decorated like an old home with a comfortable, yellow kitchen. The realistic set transported the audience straight into the lives of the characters.

Stage manager and sophomore psychology major Elizabeth Frison recalls the complicated and wonderful preparation that went into the play’s production. 

“It was equal parts exciting and stressful,” Frison said. “We all worked so hard to make the story come alive. I can’t describe how proud I felt watching the show, knowing I had a part in it coming together.” 

From the intense performances of the small cast to the beautiful visual design created by the stage crew, “Crimes of the Heart” left a lasting impression on ULM’s performing arts program.