Multicultural Week celebrates diverse backgrounds on campus

Multicultural Week kicked off with a vibrant start at Sandel Hall last Monday. The event paid homage to the many diverse cultures of the university’s students. President Ronald Berry’s speech set the tone for an exciting week of activities, including a ping-pong tournament to a food festival and painting night.

ULM’s Director of International Student Services and Multicultural Affairs, Gina White, acknowledged the emotions these events evoked.

“Multicultural week is full of energy, positivity and unity despite diverse views,” White said. “These events are opportunities for establishing insights into other cultures.”

On Tuesday, students play in a thrilling ping-pong competition in the Activity Center Nest, displaying competitive spirits from participants of various backgrounds.

Art professors Brooke Foy and Megan Smith led a painting class. Participants painted vases of flowers in different colors, symbolizing the beauty of ULM’s diversity. The event fostered an appreciation for what different views on the same issue may look like.

Freshman Aya Shigematsu, an exchange student from Japan, expressed a sentiment of acceptance from her peers. She emphasized how ULM embraced her despite cultural differences.

“I didn’t understand and speak English before I came to ULM,” Aya said. “People here treated me very kindly and didn’t make me feel like an outsider.”

Multicultural Week showcased the resilience and positivity of the ULM community. The overall theme of unity and celebration prevailed throughout the exciting week of cultural exploration. The memories made during this week will undoubtedly continue to inspire and foster an inclusive and harmonious environment at ULM. Joey McNamara, the international student advisor, explained why ULM has recently changed the name of the week to Multicultural Week.

“Traditionally, it has been International Week,” said McNamara, “Recently, it has been given a wider scope to showcase other cultures, which may not be international.”