Greek life should not be idolized by students

Greek life is a staple of college campuses, which raises an important question: Is the fascination with Greek life warranted? Spoiler alert, it is not. Students can pick and choose which organization to join, but with this choice  comes a wide range of problems.

Requirements such as expensive fees and significant time commitments make joining Greek life not worth it. The fees are ridiculous, with Greek Life organizations charging new member fees, initiation fees, recurring fees per semester and sometimes, badge fees. According to US News, these new member fees can range from “$660 per semester for Kappa Alpha Theta to $1,512.50 for Alpha Phi.” Now, this estimate just covers the fees to become a member, not including additional costs for clothing to attend conferences and dances.

KBG, an on-campus sorority, requires members to attend two-thirds of its meetings. Greek organizations often hold social events, scholastic events and training that members are also expected to attend.

So why do people join Greek life? People join to find a social circle with common ground or values. While I understand why students think Greek life is the solution, students can find friends on campus instead of paying to be in an overcomplicated club.

The clubs have no guarantee that you would be accepted into the organization in the first place, much less stay.

According to the constitution and bylaws of Alpha Omicron Pi, another on-campus sorority, a member will only be selected if they “receive an affirmative vote of 75% of the total chapter membership present and eligible to vote.” Even if you are selected, you can be put on probation for numerous reasons and can be removed through another vote.