ACES program promotes inclusivity

ULM’s Academics, Career, Engagement and Support (ACES) provides a great resource for adults with intellectual disabilities because it allows them to develop social and career readiness skills.

ULM designed the ACES Program to support young adults with learning disabilities by offering them an inclusive college experience. The program allows adults to develop social skills by offering them a real college experience. The ACES program provides courses and workshops to help prepare initiates for the workforce. 

According to ULM’s School of Education, “University seminars are led by Jeremy Bell, Ph.D, who leads the ACES program. These seminars will teach students career readiness skills.” 

Audited cross-disciplinary courses give students the opportunity to participate in various ULM classes led by faculty with other students. 

While students in the ACES Program will not graduate with a college degree, they will leave ULM with 42 hours of coursework, including two internships, that will build their readiness for a lifelong career.

According to Pathways to Care, “The benefits of engaging in social events and programs can be life-changing for people. Benefits include a sense of belonging, strengthening social connections, enhancing physical and emotional well-being and encouraging personal growth.”

Social engagement will boost their confidence, which will allow them to be excited to learn about how to better themselves.

“I think the ACES Program would be a good addition to campus because it is just like those classes in high school that allowed students to take their time on tests and to have extra attention on them in classes,” sophomore medical laboratory science major Claire Alford said. 

The ACES Program gives students with intellectual disabilities a place to grow and prosper mentally, socially and most importantly, happily.