Sneaker gala honors dedicated Greek life members, alumni

Alumni and Greek life members showed off their fanciest sneakers paired with suits and ballgowns at the first annual Greek Sneaker Gala at Bayou Pointe. The gala raised awareness and funds for scholarships. The celebration also honored the achievements of individuals dedicated to academic excellence, leadership and community service.

Ronald Berry, Ph.D., kicked off the night with a heartfelt and comedic speech, referencing the attention he received for his classy sneakers. Each guest wore decked-out, sparkly and even light-up sneakers with their black-tie outfits.

Many Greek alumni reunited while recognizing the achievements of their colleagues, such as Kappa Sigma Alumni Logan Dugas, who received Kappa Sigma’s Outstanding Alumni Recognition Award.

“I believe most past and present members of a Greek organization can agree that your membership does not end when you graduate,” Dugas said. “We are encouraged to uphold the values for which our organization stands. It is a great feeling to be recognized by my fraternity for continuing to uphold these values as an alumnus.”

Attendees dined, drank and celebrated while several other Greeks received awards for their achievements. Greek Life and Student Development Coordinator Adrienne Drago explained the reason for hosting the event this year.

“At this year’s gala, we really wanted to focus on the outstanding work the Greek life organizations have accomplished over the last year as well as introduce the First-Generation Greek Scholarship,” Drago said. “We also wanted to make sure we not only recognized the present but the past as well by recognizing distinguished alumni from each chapter.”

After many well-deserved recognitions and speeches, the Greek members and alumni partied the night away. Decked out with flower bouquets topped with custom-designed ULM sneakers, Bayou Pointe was a sight to see. An enormous balloon display and dozens of shoes in light-up boxes made the lobby the perfect photo op.

Generations of Greeks ended the night with renewed pride for their organizations. Career and Student Development Executive Director Kristen Chandler enjoyed seeing chapter advisors recognized during the awards.

“It embodies a strong sense of pride and community, two areas we strive to cultivate within Greek life and the university as a whole,” Chandler said. “Committing to the values, mission, sisterhood, brotherhood and traditions of one’s chapter is lifelong, and each individual has the opportunity to leave a footprint in the legacies that are built upon generation to generation.”