TRiO hosts Solar Eclipse Party

Courtesy ULM OMC//Skylar Henry

ULM became a center for cosmic phenomena as the 2024 solar eclipse passed over Monroe last Monday. Students became astronomers as they studied the sky, searching for signs of the eclipse. While not many students spotted the eclipse amid the storm clouds, the solar eclipse attracted the attention of students and faculty alike.
According to the National Environmental Satellite, Data and Information Service, “Solar eclipses occur when the moon passes between the sun and the Earth, casting a shadow on the Earth’s surface.” Some areas of North America experienced complete totality; however, Monroe was not directly in the eclipse’s path.
NASA reports that the last total solar eclipse visible in the U.S. occurred in 2017 and predicts the next solar eclipse will pass over the U.S. in 2044. While solar eclipses recur often, an estimated 30 million people could witness this year’s astronomical event. The eclipse passed over parts of the U.S., Mexico and Canada.
On campus, the TRiO Program invited students and faculty to a viewing party. The party provided students with protective eyewear and space-themed snacks. Attendees spent the afternoon huddled in front of the library, wearing solar eclipse glasses and snacking on moon pies.
Catherine Estis, the executive director of the TRiO Program, collaborated with her staff to put on the event. Estis explained that TRiO wanted students to have a safe environment and the proper protective equipment to watch the astronomical event.
“TRiO Programs hosted the 2024 solar eclipse to provide students with an opportunity to participate in an awe-inspiring event while connecting with fellow students and faculty, coupled with an educational and learning experience,” Estis said.
Sophomore pre-medical laboratory science major Miracle Alexander attended the solar eclipse viewing party as a member of TRiO. She praised the organization’s leadership, which allows TRiO to host special events such as an eclipse viewing party.
“I love being in TRiO because I have always seen it as a safe space,” Alexander said. “They have lots of resources available, and overall, TRiO has made being a first-generation college student less scary.”