Fall anticipation climbs with spring practice

Beau Benoit

Even though ULM football’s home opener against Jackson State remains over 100 days away, Malone Stadium is anything but quiet. Since March 11, head coach Bryant Vincent has been preparing for the 2024 season. Preparation includes attending practices, playing a scrimmage and participating in the yearly spring game. To Vincent and his team, winning in the fall starts well in advance.
For the past month, music echoed from Malone Stadium, demonstrating that the team is hard at work. All facets of the team have been constantly improving one day at a time, and so far, Vincent said he likes what he’s been seeing on and off the field.
“I think the biggest thing is, and this might sound crazy, but I think we’ve had three straight weeks where our lockers in the locker room have been clean,” Vincent said. “Once we start winning off the field, then that will give us the opportunity to win on the field.”
Vincent has stressed throughout the season that his goal is to create a team of character and academics before tackling athletics. Discipline, respect and conduct remain focus areas for Vincent and his staff, and the work seems to be paying off.
Jay Mickle, a senior offensive lineman, said that he already feels like the team is becoming just that—a team. When talking about the group, he described the squad as a unit and referred to his teammates as brothers. Mickle said that the trust within the program has grown and that all the progress made so far is making him excited for the fall.
When it comes to performance on the field, Mickle stated that he trusts no one in particular more than another. Instead, he relies on the guy standing next to him every time he’s on the field.
Vincent said he’s glad everyone is buying into his mission. For him as a coach, witnessing the brotherhood and camaraderie forming within the team firsthand has been an accomplishment.
“There’s some pride in that because we’re all we have. We need to sharpen each other and have each other’s back, but we also have to hold each other accountable,” Vincent said. “Being a disciplined football team off the field is just as important as being a disciplined football team on the field.”
From players and coaching staff alike, progress happens one day at a time. While it may seem like a slow pace, Vincent describes growth as a marathon, not a sprint. He said that everyone is itching to face Jackson State for the home opener.