Student writers brought to tears during showcase

Last Tuesday, students piled into the CNSB for more than a science project. The ULM English Program presented its annual Student Writers Showcase, welcoming students from all majors to present their works. Attendees, including students and professors, listened to stories of various designs. From tear-jerking poems to heart-wrenching papers, writers got the chance to share the fruits of their creativity.
Psychology major Amber Herring read her poem “Irony,” a reimagining of the commonly known saying “Roses are red, violets are blue.” Jason Martin, an online graduate student pursuing his doctorate, sent his reading as a recording. He read an excerpt from his book, “Witches in the Morgue,” a continuation of Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Murders in the Rue Morgue.”
According to attendees, students shared various stories during the event, and all carried powerful meanings, whether through metaphor or reality. One author, freshman social work major Lexi Castle, shared her piece written in honor of her grandfather, titled “The Butterfly in the Box.” Castle became overwhelmed with emotion during the reading, touching the listener’s hearts. She continued, her story ending with lovely applause that brought tears to attendees’ eyes.
“My grandpa had always meant a lot to me as a person,” Castle said. “Now that he’s passed, I feel like it’s my purpose to keep his memory alive by sharing how much he’s done for me, even after his passing.”
A few more writers read their works, and the event drew to a close. Presenters grabbed refreshments on their way out for parched throats.
Humanities instructor and event director Tabitha McBride informed all attendees of future writing events and encouraged them to pursue a creative writing certificate at ULM.
Whether a student is an English major or not, writing is a creative outlet for the soul. McBride and others encourage everyone to give writing a shot—now with a year to prepare for the next showcase.