Clothing exhibit defies sexual assault stigmas

Hanna Singh

The phrase “images speak louder than words” proved true in a profound exhibit displayed in the ULM Hangar Wednesday afternoon. In recognition of Sexual Assault Awareness Month, Women Take Flight and ULM Mock Trail partnered to present the “What Were You Wearing?” exhibit.
Often, people ask victims of sexual assault, “What were you wearing at the time of the assault?” This question diminishes the severity of the crime, and places blame on the victim. The exhibit included diverse outfits from assault survivors of all ages, challenging the stigma that suggests clothing choice increases the likelihood of being sexually assaulted.
Event coordinator and senior political science major Caitlin Slavich described the feelings that the exhibit evoked in her.
“I personally felt very strongly about getting the message out there. I was a bit emotional reading all of the stories and collecting the clothes,” Slavich said. “I always wanted to spread awareness and have the tough conversations about it, so I felt like this exhibit really allowed for that.”
Some outfits included work uniforms, sweats with hoodies and children’s clothing. Provided next to each set of clothes was a description of the wearer’s experience with sexual assault. From coworkers to family members, the assaults came from unexpected individuals.

Many observers stood solemnly reading the descriptions provided by the survivors, brought to tears by the stories. After the exhibit, students created a design on a paper shirt promoting sexual assault awareness. Some of the papers read phrases standing up to sexual violence, such as “no means no.” Freshman political science major Madison Herbert expressed how important she felt the meaning behind the event truly was.
“The event showed the stories of the people who all had to go through this traumatic experience,” Herbert said. “It did give me an uneasy feeling looking at some of the clothing and stories, but it’s an important topic to cover.”
This exhibit’s purpose was to show that no form of sexual assault is acceptable. The exhibit proved that people of all ages, sizes and occupations can experience assault regardless of what they are wearing.