Spring Fever Week disappointed students

Hanna Singh

Most students look forward to Spring Fever Week every year as a time to destress and decompress before finals. This year’s Spring Fever Week was a complete disaster due to the timing, weather, and lack of activities.
Spring Fever Week started on April 8, the day classes resumed on campus after spring break. As a STEM major, I find the two weeks following spring break to be one of the busiest times of the spring semester.
Classes end in less than a month. To give students “more time to study,” professors push homework, papers, lab reports and exams to the week after spring break. What is supposed to be a week of relaxation becomes the most hectic week of every student’s life.
Spring Fever Week is supposed to be a time for students to have fun before finals, but students struggle to have fun when they have four exams and homework due in every class.
According to CAB’s Spring Fever flyer, each day of the week, except for Tuesday, had an event that corresponds to a different decade. Monday had a 2000s trivia night, Wednesday was ’70s roller skating, Thursday had an ’80s silent disco and Friday was a ’90s seafood boil.
Spring Fever included a few more events during the day, such as giveaways, lunch socials, and t-shirt sales. However, the weather resulted in CAB canceling most of the planned events.
Compared to last year’s Spring Fever, there weren’t that many attractions. Also, the weather affected how the week went since everything else had to be moved inside,” sophomore toxicology major Brooke Barrett said. “I also think that since it was scheduled so late in the semester, not many people could attend due to a lot of exams happening before finals.”
Another issue many students had with this year’s Spring Fever was the lack of a concert.
Last year, Jacquees, Mariah the Scientist and HD4President performed at Fant-Ewing Coliseum. ULM did not have a concert in 2022 because of COVID-19, but Six O’Clock Traffic, Stephen Paul and MainMain performed in 2021.
Since its creation, Spring Fever Week has always ended with a concert, so why did we suddenly not have one in 2024?
Despite this year’s Spring Fever failure, students enjoyed the events they could attend.
“Since the outside events got moved inside due to the weather, my favorite part of Spring Fever was skating,” sophomore health studies major Treashure Mourning said. “I felt like I was reliving my childhood memories.”
Next year, CAB needs to bring back the action-packed and fun-filled Spring Fever Week from previous years.