ULM PD, Monroe PD take action amid rising gun violence

On March 29, a shooting near Murphy USA gas station outside of the Walmart Supercenter on Louisville Avenue injured two people. On April 4, a shooting occurred at Tommy’s Express Car Wash on Sterlington Road.
As gun violence increased near campus, students like sophomore medical laboratory sciences major Claire Alford started questioning the safety of ULM’s campus.
“I don’t feel like it’s safe, especially because anyone can just walk on our campus and enter any of the buildings,” Alford said. “People also hold open the doors to the dorms and don’t know who they are letting into the building.”
The ULM Police Department (ULMPD) services the academic buildings, dormitories and facilities on campus. The department practices campus-oriented policing, which focuses on responding to on-campus crime and preventing further problems.
According to ULM Police Department director Tom Torregrossa, ULMPD has not determined the direct cause of the recent gun violence. However, the department continues to take preventative measures against the crime.
ULMPD is fully staffed, with officers conducting routine patrols both day and night. The department operates around the clock, and officers can respond to emergencies and crime 24/7.
The campus police also work with university officials to schedule trainings and programs for students and faculty. Faculty and staff must participate in yearly active shooter training. Officers teamed up with the Student Success Center to help students learn more about safety on campus by creating a presentation for UNIV1001 students.
If a crime involves a ULM student off campus, campus police work with local emergency service providers, such as the Monroe Police Department and the Ouachita Parish Sheriff’s Department. Torregrossa praised the close working relationship between local police agencies.
“ULM has a great working relationship with all local Law Enforcement agencies in the parish,” Torregrossa said. “These relationships provide working solutions for issues that may arise.”
ULMPD works closely with the Monroe Police Department to ensure the safety of every student and community member. Monroe Police Department Sergeant Matt Schmitz describes the agency’s services to students on and off campus.
“I would like to say, the Monroe Police Department does patrol areas in and around the campus 24/7,” Monroe Police Department sergeant Matt Schmitz said. “The safety of ULM students and members of the public is our top priority.”
Both police departments encourage people to be vigilant in their community and report suspicious activity. Schmitz advises students to contact either department if they feel unsafe or witness suspicious behavior.
“Whether it’s the public or ULM students, [MPD] always likes to remind the public to be aware of their surroundings at all times; if you see something, say something, and don’t hesitate to contact us with any issue(s),” Schmitz said.