Humanities Show-and-Tell spotlights students’ research, creativity

Everybody remembers show-and-tell in elementary school. Excited students brought their most prized possessions, whether a pet rock or a picture book, to school. Last Wednesday, humanities faculty and students participated in a show-and-tell, transforming a childhood staple into a research presentation. 
The Humanities Institute invited several English graduate students to present their semester-long research projects at the show-and-tell. Students researched a plethora of topics, ranging from the modernization of West Monroe to the role of colorism in Toni Morrison’s works. The diverse topics engaged audience members as they learned about each presenter’s field of study. 
“By sharing their research and creative writing, these students participated in the act of creating new knowledge,” English professor Patrick Morgan said. “I love how the Humanities Research Show-and-Tell is a welcoming space to share both finished projects and works-in-progress.”
    Graduate student Landon Lofton kicked off the event by discussing his behind-the-scenes role in the City of Monroe Oral History Project. While interning at a clinic in West Monroe, Lofton began skimming through archived newspapers from The News Star. He eventually collected photos from the ‘50s, ‘60s and ‘70s. As Lofton gathered these photos, he charted the progress of West Monroe. Eventually, he compiled enough photos to be featured in the City of Monroe Oral History Project.
  When highlighting his work on the City of Monroe Oral History Project, Lofton explained the importance of oral storytelling when preserving a city’s cultural traditions and history. He discussed how oral storytelling blends English and history, tracking changes made by humanity through individual stories. 
     Kaylee Sadler read her latest poems, giving attendees a glimpse into her creative process. Sadler created her newest poems for a writing challenge, in which she had to write a new poem every day for two weeks. As a result, Sadler tried out new writing styles and incorporated different literary elements into her works. Sadler’s poems masterfully combined natural imagery with themes of young love, growth and maturity. Her poems reflected the emotions and feelings of many college students growing up in Northern Louisiana.  
    Jilah Gardner concluded the insightful evening by analyzing Toni Morrison’s “God Help the Child.” The novel centers around Bride, a young African American girl who experiences colorism and racism. Morrison explores the relationship between Bride and her unaffectionate, loveless mother. For her presentation, Gardner examined “God Help the Child” using trauma theory, or the idea that trauma drastically affects a character’s identity. She focused on Morrison’s characterization of Bride, whose traumatic childhood influenced her decisions as an adult. 
  The Humanities Show-and-Tell originally only featured the works of English students and faculty. However, Sigma Tau Delta collaborated with the Humanities Institute to expand the event, inviting all humanities students to present. President of Sigma Tau Delta Mallory Kaul explained why the show-and-tell event continues to be an anticipated event each year. 
“These students rarely get the opportunity to fully divulge the work they have dedicated months of research to, and this informal, constructive space helps them to feel more confident in their work,” Kaul said. 
Morgan shared his thoughts on how the humanities enrich the University community and how students can benefit from being involved.
“I believe the humanities are the heart of a university.  It’s pivotal for students to realize that they have the power to make meaning: that if they follow their curiosity, they will inevitably say something original.”