Student artists enhance campus with vibrant murals

MURAL, MURAL ON THE WALL: Foy and her students incorporated aspects of pharmacology into their design.
Photo courtesy Brooke Foy

With a thriving School of Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA), ULM took advantage of these talented students by adding another large art project on campus. The newest artistic display at the university featured a giant mural created by VAPA students and one very dedicated professor.
Associate art professor Brooke Foy combined the talents of four students from her mural class to create the first mural at the university. In the pharmacy building, the artists painted pill bottles, microscopes and other pharmacy-related icons across the entire wall of Bienville Hall. As a muralist in the Monroe community, Foy has created many before. However, this addition would be the first mural at ULM.
“Murals are a lot of fun. I do murals often, but usually with a hired team,” Foy said. “These students have been amazing and have done a great job.”
The students involved in the project included Haley Wiley, Mareo Riley, Theresa Tran and Kassidy Greer. The group spent many hours creating the artwork but didn’t stop with one. Currently, the art students are working on the second mural project in the Student Center, which Foy hinted may even include the help of some guest painters. Senior art major Hailey Wiley proudly contributed to the project.
“I love knowing that I’m actively doing things to help make our campus and our city improve,” Wiley said. “My favorite part of VAPA is getting to live out my little kid dreams of being an artist. The professors here really made an impact on my perspective of art and what it means to be an artist.”
Since the pharmacy school mural received such a positive response, Warhawks will be excited to see the outcome of the newest art piece in the Student Center. Foy and the VAPA students continue to improve the campus with visually stunning projects each year.