Sound of Today performance combines instrumental, pop music

Shubrat Simkhada
TUNES OF TODAY: The band played many popular hit songs, such as Taylor Swift’s “Anti-Hero.”

ULM’s Sound of Today treated students and faculty to an afternoon of instrumental pop music at “Pops on the Plaza” last Thursday. The performance featured a diverse selection of pop music from various artists. The band played music by the Beatles, Taylor Swift and Hans Zimmer for an audience in the spring air.
Sound of Today director Allen Parrish, Ph.D., took a few moments between pieces to express his gratitude for the senior players.
“I’m sad to see them go, but I’m excited to see what they do. I’m also excited about some of the new talent coming in,” Parrish said.
The recognized seniors received applause; most have been members of the Sound of Today since their freshman year. Senior music performance major Kerry Simpson spoke about his six years playing tuba for the band.
“I feel my experience in the band has helped shape my musical abilities a lot,” Simpson said. “From my last year of high school till now, it’s been a lot better.”
As the performances continued, people drew closer from various corners of the university to listen. “Anti-Hero” by Taylor Swift echoed across campus, calling all Swifties within earshot.
“I heard it all the way from my dorm in University Suites,” freshman social work major Lexi Castle said. “It was awesome.”
As the last song played, the audience felt grateful for the chance to come together and enjoy some music in the sunny weather.
Compared to previous semesters, the spring of 2024 has hosted four times as many Sound of Today performances. The ULM community can expect to see more new and exciting events in the coming semesters.
With four students graduating, Sound of Today will have several spots open, specifically targeting non-music majors. Students who are interested can contact Allen Parrish at [email protected] for more information.