Rain-soaked Tigers put Warhawks through wringer

ULM Athletics
BLAZING THROUGH: Skylar Blaise approaches the box for a shot on goal.

ULM women’s soccer lost its last off-season spring game against Jackson State 1-0 at Brown Stadium.

During the match, rain drenched the players and the few fans who braved the elements. Players, such as ULM goalie Maddox Dolly, discussed the effects of rain while playing.

“Our playing style is more direct on the floor,” Dolly said. “So, I think it slows down our passes, and it definitely was harder to control the ball with feet.”

The first half started with the Warhawks controlling the ball. They tried to create spaces to get the lead within the first 30 minutes.

A corner cross from ULM midfielder Mara Grutkamp created an opportunity for ULM’s offense. However, Jackson State’s goalkeeper saved the shot.

Soon after, the Warhawk offense got fouled and drew a freekick. Grutkamp created another chance from the kick, which again couldn’t find the back of the net.

Jackson State players pressed the Warhawks. In doing so, the Tigers earned two yellow cards for their fouls.

An offensive play by ULM allowed forward Skylar Blaise an opening once again, but she failed to capitalize and shot directly at the goalkeeper.

Despite frequent attacks from the Warhawks, the first half ended goalless. ULM midfielder Sara Navarro chalked up these missed opportunities to a lack of attention.

“I just think that we weren’t focused enough in the final third,” Navarro said. “The first 35 minutes of the game, our build up was really good, but we just weren’t able to be good enough in the final third and get the finishes off.”

Following halftime, JSU focused on offense. Meanwhile, ULM substituted more defensive players into the match. ULM goalkeeper Emerson Roberts relieved Maddox Dolly in goal.

The game proved physically demanding, with both teams playing aggressively. As a result, a collision between players led to an injury for ULM midfielder Leane Commare.

“I would say that this game was very physical. We played them last fall, so we kinda knew this was coming,” Dolly said. “At the end of the day, we always try to play with good sportsmanship, but I would say there were times both teams just get little physical and sometimes, it was unnecessary.”

JSU substituted players to get fresh legs on the pitch. The substitution proved beneficial for the Tigers as they scored a goal almost immediately. A JSU forward headed a ball passed from a corner kick to take the lead.

ULM substituted their keeper again, bringing in Mickaela Leal. The Warhawks tried to comeback by attacking the offense. However, their plays couldn’t give them a goal.

The game ended 1-0 with the Tigers on top.

Looking ahead to the fall, the team will face challenges, such as losing graduating seniors and integrating new members. Despite facing adversity next season, many players express their optimism to have another winning season.

“I think this team really came quite a long way. I think we had a really good season last year,” Dolly said. “Coming next fall, we are going to comeback bigger, better and stronger. I am excited to see what we will do.”