ULM Dance Ensemble entices audience with storytelling choreography

THE+PARTING+GLASS%3A+The+ULM+Dance+Repertory+Ensemble+performed+six+choreographed+routines+during+the+concert.+
Shubrat Simkhada
THE PARTING GLASS: The ULM Dance Repertory Ensemble performed six choreographed routines during the concert.

Under the bright stage lights of Brown Auditorium, the ULM Repertory Dance Ensemble entranced audience members at its annual Spring Dance Fusion Concert. 
With the concert theme of storytelling, the performances sought to portray different experiences through music and dancing. Dancers smoothly transitioned from one part of the story to the next, telling many different tales throughout the night.
While choreographing the routines, director Starla Gatson focused on conveying a particular theme or story. 
“During the choreography process, I tried to be very intentional about the movements I chose,” Gatson said. “I wanted them to either match the mood I was trying to set through the piece or interpret the lyrics and music accurately and creatively.”
Senior speech pathology major Kayla Cornet and freshman psychology major Skyla Villanueva opened the concert by performing “Welcome to the Revelation” by Mumford & Sons and Pharrell Williams. 
The performance started with Cornet and Villanueva moving in opposing directions. As the song progressed, Cornet and Villanueva began to dance in sync. The stylistic choice of asynchronous dancing portrayed a theme of rebirth and change.
Kornet described the challenges she faced while preparing for the Spring Fusion Concert. 
“Preparation for the concert was definitely challenging,” Cornet said. “Having both rehearsal and practice on the same day was a challenge, but it was necessary.”
“Meet the Plastics” by the original Broadway cast of “Mean Girls” was performed by Cornet, Villanueva and sophomore education major Megan Crosser. 
Each performer was distinctly identified based on their dance style as one of the “plastics” in the film. Regina George’s movements were strong and sassy, while Gretchen Wieners’ was relaxed and smooth. Cornet played Karen Smith, her facial expressions enhancing the entire performance.

MEET THE PLASTICS: Each dancer played a specific character from the 2004 hit film “Mean Girls,” which Tina Fey eventually adapted into a musical.
(Shubrat Simkhada)

“My favorite dance was ‘Meet the Plastics’ because they were all dressed similarly with the pink blouses and black skirts, but the styles of the clothes and dance moves distinguished each dancer as a character from the movie,” junior biology major Agnes Ugokwe said.
The concert ended with the ULM Dance Repertory Ensemble performing “The Parting Glass” by boygenius. This dance told the story of a funeral procession. The dancers wore all black, and the atmosphere was somber.
One dancer would move fast, and then another would be slow. This represented the different ways people grieve when a loved one dies. Towards the end of the dance, all the performers began dancing in sync, which shows that each dancer is accepting the loss of their loved one.
The Spring Dance Fusion Concert told many stories through costuming, song choice and beautifully crafted choreography. The outstanding performance will be remembered as a night of visually stunning theatrics.