‘Art is Therapy’ offers creativity, rejuvenation

Hanna Singh
DOWN BY THE RIVER: The NEDHSA held the festival at the Downtown RiverMarket.

Last Saturday, the Northeast Delta Human Services Authority (NEDHSA) hosted the second annual “Art is Therapy” festival at the Downtown RiverMarket in Monroe.
At the festival, NEDHSA offered many free activities that allowed attendees to explore healthy forms of expression. The agency encouraged participants to find new ways to communicate their feelings and explore art for their therapeutic needs. NEDHSA Director of Prevention and Wellness Avius Carroll, Ph.D., explained what the organization wanted guests to take away from the event.
“We want everyone who attends to enjoy the elements of art, participate in artistic expression, and connect with art as a pathway to more self-awareness, insight and increased resiliency,” Carroll said. “Ultimately, we want people to have a great time and relax in a safe space.”
The activities included crafts, painting, line dancing and yoga. The TaylorMade Band and the Melters performed live music throughout the afternoon while guests practiced a little retail therapy shopping from local creators and vendors. Senior marketing major Taitianna Minifield assisted with the festival’s advertising campaign and attended the event with friends.
“I enjoyed the atmosphere; it was very welcoming and entertaining,” Minifield said. “The food was good, the vendors were friendly, and they had fun art projects to pick and choose from.”
Several students in the ULM Marketing Club helped create marketing materials for the festival’s campaign. Led by club advisor and marketing professor Melissa Kiper, the organization produced graphics and reels that advertised different elements of the festival.
“I’m glad some of our Marketing Club students were able to attend the event and see their hard work come to life,” Kiper said. “I loved that it was a free event for our community. Seeing some of the children paint and showcase their creativity was really sweet.”
NEDHSA will continue to host the “Art is Therapy” festival each year for the Monroe community. Students can find more information about the organization by visiting the Northeast Delta Human Services Authority’s website or following NEDHSA on Facebook.