Soccer team loses heartbreaker on road

The Warhawks lost a heartbreaker in soccer on the road in Las Vegas 3-2 in double overtime to Portland State. They fall to 1-1 on the season.

In what was a homecoming game for several of the Warhawk players, the extra motivation was just not enough to get the Warhawks a win as Portland State’s Esty Geiger scored a golden goal in the one-hundred and fourth minute to send the Warhawks to .500.

The Warhawks scored first at 37:02 with an unassisted goal by Junior Stacey Carmack, but Portland State tied it up just two minutes later with a goal by Amanda Howie off a corner kick. Kimmie Tammen was credited with the assist, and at halftime the score stood at 1-1.

Las Vegas native Samantha Cashman scored the next goal for the Warhawks at 54:05. Cashman’s goal was also unassisted, like Carmack’s.  However, Portland State’s Melissa Trammell scored the tying goal at 68:21 with an assist from Geiger.

After the score remained locked at 2-2 for the remainder of regulation and the first overtime period, Geiger scored the game-winning golden goal at an official time of 103:43 with an assist from Amanda Dutra to end the game. Geiger scored off a blocked shot from the far corner.

Sophomore goalkeeper Alex Holland, also a native of Las Vegas, played all 104 minutes of the game and turned in a solid performance with 11 saves and only gave up three goals against the Vikings’ aggressive offensive attack.

Portland State’s offense took 29 shots throughout the game and outshot ULM 21-2 after the first half. Dutra took six shots, with three of those with the intent to score. Only four Viking players did not attempt a shot.

ULM opened the first period with five shots, but they did not attempt a shot in any of the two overtime periods.

The Warhawks return home Friday, Sept. 3 to face Centenary at 4 p.m. and play Nicholls St. on Sept. 5 at 1 p.m.