Football signs home-and-home deal with Tulane

Kinsmon Lancaster is pressured by Tulane tackle Julian Shives-Sams during the ULM-TU game in 2008

ULM athletics director Bobby Staub announced on Tuesday that the Warhawks will play a home-and-home series against Tulane, with the Green Wave starting in 2012.

The Warhawks will travel to the Superdome to play the Green Wave on Sept. 29, 2012, and the Wave will return the favor by traveling to Malone Stadium on Sept. 14, 2013.

“The New Orleans area always produces a lot of talented football players,” stated Staub. “This is a great opportunity to expose ULM football to that part of the state.”

The Warhawks first played Tulane in 2002 at the ‘Dome, losing 52-9. However, in 2008, the Wave traveled to Malone, barely beating the Hawks by a score of 24-10.

On the Saturday before the Tulane game in 2013, the Warhawks will play host to Grambling State, in what is sure to be a sellout event. The ULM-GSU game created the largest crowd in Malone Stadium history, and sparked the interest in creating a rivalry between the two schools, situated only 35 miles apart.

Also, the home-and-home series between ULM and Baylor has been swapped. The Warhawks were originally going to travel to play the Bears, but instead, Baylor will travel to Malone Stadium in 2012, thus creating a home vacancy for the 2013 season. That spot has been filled by Tulane.